Outstanding Professors and Researchers: EB-1(B)

This category requires a “permanent” job offer as a researcher or professor, but does not need a labor certification.


The threshold requirements for this category are the following:

  • The foreign national must be recognized internationally as outstanding in a specific academic field
  • The foreign national must have a minimum of 3 years of experience in teaching and/or research in that field; and
  • The foreign national must be offered a position that is a tenure or tenure-track teaching or comparable research position at a university or other institution of higher education, or he/she must be offered a comparable type (indefinite or unlimited duration) of research position with a private employer (the employer must employ at least 3 full-time researchers, and must have documented accomplishments in the foreign national’s academic field).

In addition to the above threshold requirements set forth above, the foreign national must submit evidence of having met at least 2 criteria from the following list of 6 suggested types of evidence:

  • Evidence of receipt of major prizes or awards for outstanding achievement
  • Evidence of membership in associations that require their members to demonstrate outstanding achievement
  • Evidence of published material in professional publications written by others about the alien’s work in the academic field
  • Evidence of participation, either on a panel or individually, as a judge of the work of others in the same or allied academic field
  • Evidence of original scientific or scholarly research contributions in the field
  • Evidence of authorship of scholarly books or articles (in scholarly journals with international circulation) in the field

How We Can Help

We will:

  • Assist you in determining eligibility, filing the petition and required documents in the relevant category.
  • Advice you on strategies to enhance your credentials within a period of time to increase your chances of eligibility under this category.
  • Walk you through the final stages of obtaining the green card, either via adjustment of status or consular processing.