Fiancé Visa

Fiancé Visa or K-1 visa can only be filed by a U.S. citizen (USC). The petition is filed with the Service Center having jurisdiction over the petitioner’s place of residence.

Among other things, supporting documentation must include proof that any previous marriage of either party has been dissolved, and proof that the couple has met personally within the last 2 years (limited exception is applied to this requirement).

When the Service Center approves the petition, the approval notice is sent to a U.S. Consular Office that can handle immigrant visas (even though K-1 visa is not an immigrant visa) in the country that the beneficiary is living. Beneficiary has to undergo medical examination and needs to provide proof that he or she will not become a public charge in the United States.

The couple must marry within 90 days of the beneficiary’s arrival in the U.S., or beneficiary must depart. There is no extension of this 90-day deadline.